Welcome to HomeAutoForum - Home Automation Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What's your preferred OS?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Sagacious

Sagacious

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 87 posts

I prefer Windows, but when working with any type of automation, I think Linux is the way to go!

lee552

lee552

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I prefer Windows, but when working with any type of automation, I think Linux is the way to go!

I'm a huge fan of Linux. I don't mind using Windows, but love using Linux when I can get by with it! :D

GeekTheNet

GeekTheNet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMauritius

Windows is a good platform. But for automation I prefer Linux too..

Linux Mint FTW

nAaRGPd.jpg

Lante

Lante

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I believe commercial and enterprise-level devices will rely on Windows (though that raises serious security concerns for me, exploit-wise) while DIY solutions will always use a Linux distribution for its customization abilities and easy scripting and programming, such as the Python+RPI combo for a lot of automation projects started by IT and electronics enthusiasts.

Sagacious

Sagacious

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 87 posts

Yeah, big companies and things like that (who have the money), might use Windows. However, Windows is very vulnerable. Linux, not so much. Linux is also really light, and works great if you know your way around a terminal. I guess it can be preference.

Automator2

Automator2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I use Ubuntu 14.04 Server. It's actually really good for automation.

Home Automation

Home Automation

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Linux all the way! I use Windows at home, and Linux when I'm doing something with automation. My Raspberry Pi, and Arduino are using Linux.

Sagacious

Sagacious

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 87 posts

Seems like most of you like Linux as well. I was actually thinking of dual-booting at home with Linux and Windows. I might just use VMWare instead though for my Linux projects.

sandradabest

sandradabest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I myself use Windows at home but enjoy using the awesome Linux part of the Arduino and stuff.

Nesla

Nesla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Agreed! I use Windows when I'm home or at work, and Linux (Redhat and Ubuntu) or my home automation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users